4.07.2011

Grr I am angry. I just bought some apples from the street market across from me and when I got home I took a better look at them (it's nighttime) and saw that they were very bruised. I cut them open and they are all black on the inside. Sometimes the fruit sellers will bag your fruit for you so I didn't think anything of it but now I see that it was because he didn't want me to get a good look at them. A few weeks ago I probably would have just accepted it and moved on because he barely charged me anything but I decided that I'm not going to let him get away with this. I put the cut-up apples in a bag and went back to the market so I could show him the crappy apples he sold me and tell him that they were bad apples...and that he was a bad apple too, lol. Unfortunately he had packed up his stand along with most of the other vendors. However, a man selling nuts right next to him was still there so I showed him the apples and told him 'that man' and pointed at the vacant lot. The man selling nuts looked thoroughly disappointed and shook his head. He told me that either the man or the apples was/were bad and to come back tomorrow. Another woman must have seen the commotion and came up and said tomorrow to me in English! I just recently learned the word for tomorrow, mingtian, so the translation was unnecessary but how nice. I am slowly starting to understand people- all I need is to recognize one word and I can get the gist of what they're saying!

So tomorrow, I will either get my money back from him for the apples, or if he refuses then I will show the other vendors the bad apples and maybe they will help me. I already have the nut seller on my side. My last resort is to toss the bag of bad apples at his table and walk away. I will not lose face in this situation!! Maybe I'll go next door and buy some nuts from my friend afterwards...

3 comments:

  1. Your attitude regarding losing face is becoming very Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to clarify since my mom was concerned- i'm really not that angry about it- i just am curious to see if and how i can rectify the wrongdoings committed against me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And from these humble beginnings arose the next Sino-American War...

    ReplyDelete