4.08.2011

Bad Apple Update

So I just went back to the stand where I bought the bad apples last night. I was coming home from a long day of school/Chinese physical therapy so I was too lazy to go up to my apartment and pick up the bad apples, so I went straight there. I went a little cautiously to check out the scene first- I didn't really remember what the guy looked like since it was dark and I didn't want to accuse the wrong person. Well when I got there the nut vendor was there and I heard him start saying something about apples to the vendor next to him so I knew I had found them. My Chinese was way too limited to have an actual conversation about what had happened besides telling them "2 bad apples yesterday" but the nut vendor and his buddies seemed like they were trying to help me out. There was a woman with the bad-apple vendor today and she was doing most of the talking. I told her "I want money" and rubbed my thumb against my pointer and middle finger (I hope that is also the sign for money here lol...). Then a big commotion occurred for a while and I had no idea what anyone was saying so I just observed. Finally, I was rescued by a nearby Chinese man who spoke a pretty decent amount of English. I told him what happened and he talked to the nut vendors a bit then asked me where my evidence was. I told him that it was in my apartment and asked him if I should get it. He said no, the people still wouldn't give me my money back lol. I tried to get him to talk to the apple vendors for me but he said he was just an outsider hahhah. Well I was pretty much just laughing through this whole mess but I definitely did not win my case. The guy then helped me buy some nuts from my friends and buy some good apples from another vendor. So all in all I guess things turned out okay!

5 comments:

  1. this is hilarious. if you owned a stand in the U.S., how would you perceive a chinese person who approached and kept saying "i want money" while "rubbing my thumb against my pointer and middle finger"?

    Also they probably have no clue what that gesture meant, although I am willing to be corrected if you find that I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if i knew that i had wronged them then i would not have been surprised at all but i would probably be a little worried about what they planned on doing and how persistent they would be.

    i think that in conjunction with me saying i want money in chinese, they knew perfectly well what it meant :)-. i'll ask around though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha seriously Victoria you are an international incident waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i went back to buy some more nuts today. the lady was there again and she tried to get me to buy some apples from her and we exchanged a laugh, so don't worry, all is well. i didn't buy any of course though. i made a new friend today who sold me some good apples. i also have my banana friend vendor- she doesn't even weigh the fruit- she just charges me a set amount. i'll have to pick a new vendor for my strawberries...

    ReplyDelete