9.23.2011

make a story

The kids here are very smart, but sometimes you really have to push them to go past the bare minimum in English class. I think this is because they pretty much memorize the (very boring) English book and don't get a chance to use the vocabulary they learn in novel ways. So, I did a warm-up activity today where I gave the kids 4 words and told them to write a story:

1. monkey
2. dance
3. violin
4. Zhong Xin Primary School (their school)

The first time around, almost every single kid gave me: "There was a monkey at Zhong Xin Primary School and he liked dancing and playing violin." I told them that one sentence was not a very good story, and they're like huh?! In all my classes though, there was always one kid on the first try that BAM whipped out a very creative little story, and then the other students saw what I was looking for.

By the end of it, I had some students coming up with like 3 or 4 stories with those 4 words, and some of them were just telling me them orally rather than writing them down. They were like dying to tell their story. I was very proud of them! My favorite was this one:

"A long, long time ago, Zhong Xin Primary School was a people school. Then, one day, some monkeys came to the school. There was a fight, monkeys vs. people. The people were very scared, so they ran away. Now the Zhong Xin Primary School is a monkey school. The monkeys dance and play violin all day. They are very happy."

Fantastic!

4 comments:

  1. Where did the people go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. to the less prestigious Xin Zhong Primary School

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like like the beginig of Planet of the Apes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha that's true! i guess at the end they would find the great wall

    ReplyDelete