9.18.2011

chinese locker rooms...

i was fortunate enough to run into one of my students from last year at the gym tonight and met her mother and her grandmother. the only catch is that i ran into them in the women's locker room so they were all naked. at first when i caught sight of my little student and her grandmother i thought oh man, this is awkward, but there didn't seem to be any awkwardness at all so i just rolled with it. i'm not sure what the protocol would be for a situation like this in the states (although it would likely never happen in the first place) but i don't think it would be how things played out. so the grandma kept asking me questions about whether her granddaughter was smart and things like that and my student was just standing there giggling. the mom finally popped up and her english was pretty good so we chatted a bit too. luckily, i was in my towel during this time, otherwise i think i would have felt a little uncomfortable. i usually do my thing in there like they do and people tend to leave me be, but i think that would have attracted quite a bit of attention. at any rate, china can be a strange place...

No comments:

Post a Comment