3.20.2011

No Sleep for the Weary

This morning I was looking forward to sleeping in and catching up on rest...who knew that could be so hard to do when you're alone in your own apartment.

First off, around 8 am this morning I started hearing hammering noises coming from either the apartment next to me or upstairs. At first it sounded muffled like they were trying to be courteous of others but after about a minute this person really started going to town with their hammer. After about 10 minutes of mind dulling hammering I finally screamed "STOOPPPP!!!" at the top of my lungs. The hammering immediately died down and did not start again. Well that was a win but about half an hour later...

These people start banging on huge drums and blowing horns in the market right outside my apartment. The picture on the left is actually not from Sunday because this already happened another time! The first time it happened I asked a Chinese woman why they were doing that and she told me it was probably because a new shop had opened up. Well they must be really excited about this shop because they played non-stop for almost the entire day today. The hands down worst part about it was that they were playing the SAME TUNE for 95% of the day. OH MY GOD!!!!!! It wasn't even a good tune, it was really simple and short so it was cycling through over and over again. One time they changed it up a little which I was thankful for until I realized that someone was just blowing their horn as hard as they could and trying to hold the same, hideous note for 3 minutes straight. I thought maybe that was the finale, but I was wrong. The drummers then got their time to shine by just beating on them as hard as they could with no apparent rhythm over and over again for another couple minutes. And then, that wretched tune started all over again. They stopped for a little while in the afternoon and then did not stop again until 6 pm at night.

Sorry the videos are a little blurry- I took them from my apartment because I was actually sick and exhausted on Sunday and didn't leave my apartment the whole day. I honestly think this music session contributed to my illness because I thought it would never end, and it was making me feel slightly loony.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Xia Tong! Your grandmother and Evelyn and Earl are looking at your blog. They thought it was interesting and funny. Your grandmother wants to see photos of your students and more pictures of the people. She also said Fairy sounds like a nice little girl. The band looks good in red! I will show this to Ronnie and Janice later, I'm sure they will have interesting comments about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they like it! I don't have any pictures of my students yet. I was afraid to take out my camera in class just yet. Haha, tell me what they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some tear gas should disperse them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. replica bags manila site link g1k59x5l08 replica bags from china replica bags vuitton hop over to this site l7v50d2n33 replica bags turkey find out here w0n01w2z19 high quality designer replica replica bags aaa

    ReplyDelete