3.27.2011

A Boring Walk

On Wednesdays I get off work really early so last week I took a long walk down my road. I went the opposite way of the city center which is the route that I usually take. Man, it was the most boring experience I have ever had in China!

After I walked about 2 or 3 blocks I immediately noticed that the population density really started to thin out. It felt pretty weird not being surrounded by Chinese people! In the horizon I saw a bunch of nice-looking, cookie cutter high rise apartment buildings. Even so, these buildings retain their Chinese identity I suppose with the huge white rabbit and dog statues you see in the picture there. How charming, lol. These buildings were either relatively unoccupied or everyone in them had a 9-5 kind of job because the whole area seemed pretty much deserted- no markets, no gambling old men, no cars flying at you as you cross the street. Not even a hair salon- the things that make Dalian great! I hope that this is not the future of Dalian :(

I do think this area is probably very valuable real estate though because it's right on the water and there is a ton of development going on around it as you can see in the pictures. So we'll see what happens...











This is the first and only stop sign I have ever seen in Dalian. And of course it's not even in a busy part of the city....sheesh.

















Finally some Chinglish just for fun- this housing development was called "Mountain Central of Rare Value" and below in the small letters it says "The leisurely life of the Spanish Garden we'll go hors".

No comments:

Post a Comment