5.15.2013

Beware the Cactus Fiend

This is an addendum to The Exotic Planterium and Card & Comic Collectorama post.

The two green plants are doing more than well--the stringy green one is growing like wildfire and I might need to get a bigger container for it soon, and the succulent has a nice greenish-red hue to it (that might actually be a bad sign but for the purposes of this post we'll say it's good).

The problem is the poor little cactus. It always had an odd bend to it, but now it's bending so much that it's touching the container. For once in the slow but sure death of a plant, I do not blame myself. I blame the cactus fiend.

I have noticed on more than one occasion when I come into my office in the morning, my little cactus has been moved, sometimes to the other side of the window sill. The small clumps of dirt left where the cactus used to sit prove its change in position.

Today the cactus was disrupted so much that it's falling over onto one side of the container and it looks like it's coming uprooted.  The cactus had moved to the other side of the window again and I noticed there was a dirt trail. Evidence, I thought. I followed the dirt trail as far as I could, hoping it would lead me straight to the culprit. When the trail stopped at the wall closest to me, I realized that I had been fooled again by the cactus fiend. I smashed my hand into the wall in frustration, and a passing co-worker shot me a worried glance. They obviously had not been a target of the cactus fiend yet. Or they did not keep a cactus in their office.

In all truthfulness, my first thought was that all of this must have been the work of a devilish little cat. My impression is that cats would most likely dislike cacti. They are sharp and pointy and I think that would piss a cat off.

That was the only likely explanation I could come up with. Some would say that the janitor was the more likely culprit, but I would say, really? There is an evil janitor working in my building who likes to yank on my cactus until it's about to fall over and then puts it back down in the wrong place? And doesn't touch the other plants? Hmm...I think not.

Who do you think is the cactus fiend?

4 comments:

  1. It is clear to me that you are the cactus fiend and are merely trying to gain sympathy and/or collect on some sort of insurance policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am sorry that i broke your will to post.

    "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone." - Counting Crows

    ReplyDelete
  3. peg leg, my sons know what you did in the dark, and they are not pleased. and neither is krampus. it took all my power to convince him not to pay you a visit. i have been trying to make amends for your actions ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well look who decided to finally show her monkfish face.

    Ol' Krampenstein may give little babies the willies, but to a seasoned old soul like me I have seen it all and I know his foul-smelling yowl is little more than blustering wind.

    ReplyDelete