11.20.2011

zombies

to follow up with my last past, zombies are the hot thing in china right now thanks to a popular video game called 'plants vs. zombies'. this is why they know the word zombie, it's not one of their vocab words :) now i'm not the biggest gamer in the world but i have played this game with my students before and it has got to be one of the most inane games in the world. i got bored after like 30 seconds. the zombies start walking across the grass REALLLYYY slowly while mumbling "braiiiinnnnsss" and then you put out some killer plants and wait for them to die. it's a cute idea, but the strategy is pretty lacking.
this is my awesome new MICHAEL JACKSON zombie sticker. i always let my private students pick a sticker after class, and last week my student my student whipped out this awesome sheet of plants vs. zombie stickers and told me to pick one. she put my stickers to shame! when i show the 'thriller' music video in class i always make sure to make the connection for them because they have no idea that this is michael jackson. i'm like look, they have the same red jacket and pants! the kids looooove the thriller music video (i just show them the scary part where the zombies come to life and then they all dance together). they told me that in the video game his name is just 'the king of the dance'.
if only all english words had as much interest behind them as the word 'zombie'....then all my students would be fluent for sure

1 comment:

  1. Do they realize how disrespectful that is to the memory of Michael Jackson?

    ReplyDelete